There are many scholarships available to children and grandchildren of members of Masonic Lodges in Rhode Island.
There are also scholarships available to members of the Order of Rainbow for Girls and members of the Order of DeMolay. Some of the Lodges have their own scholarship programs as do some Eastern Star Chapters and other Concordant Bodies. This list is our attempt to inform as many members and their families about those scholarships that are available, their basic requirements, and contact persons.
Grand Lodge of Rhode Island
The Masonic Grand Lodge of Rhode Island administers numerous scholarship programs, including the Fletcher Fund’s Masonic Youth Foundation program. Request forms and information from Masonic Grand Lodge Charities of RI, Inc., attention: Scholarship Committee, 222 Taunton Avenue, East Providence, RI 02914 or call the Grand Lodge office at 401-435-4650. Grand Lodge also has scholarships available to non-Masonic applicants.
The forms must be 100% accurately filled out and be received in the Grand Lodge office no later than 4:00 PM on Monday, April 15, 2019. There are no exceptions.
Scottish Rite Valley of Providence Abbott Scholarship
- Currently enrolled freshman, sophomore, junior or senior at an accredited college or university. A minimum grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale. Freshman scholarships will be distributed after an acceptable GPA is submitted, following the first semester.
- A child of a Scottish Rite Mason in the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction.
- A member of a youth organization sponsored by the Masonic fraternity in the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction.
- A graduate of one of the 32nd degree Masonic Learning Centers for Children in the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction.
- Not available to entering freshmen.
Albert P. Ruérat Scholarship. For active DeMolay boys only.
Call Maria at the Scottish Rite office, 401-461-2480 for scholarship forms. If she is not available, Tom Yeaw can help. The office is open Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. The forms must be submitted in duplicate and must be in the hands of Scottish Rite no later than April 1, 2019. Scottish Rite 2115 Broad Street, Cranston, RI 02905.
Scholarships offered by Eastern Star and Rainbow
Grand Chapter of Rhode Island, O.E.S. & Eastern Star Foundation of RI Inc.
- 1. General Education Scholarships are available to those who have a State of Rhode Island Eastern Star or Masonic relationship or to those who were or who are a member in good standing of Rainbow or DeMolay in the State of Rhode Island. Scholarships are available for sophomore, junior, senior, and post-graduate years in college.
- 2. Estarl Scholarships are for those preparing for leadership roles in various fields of religious service including ministers, priests, missionaries, church music directors, and church youth directors and counselors. The scholarship does not require a Masonic, Eastern Star, Rainbow, or DeMolay relationship.
- 3. Eastern Star Foundation of Rhode Island Inc.
- 4. There is a Music Scholarship Fund which is not for college attendance. It offers scholarship assistance to anyone for organ lessons, providing an applicant commits to play for her/his Chapter or Assembly.
The Round Scholarship is for current members in good standing and those with a majority from a Rhode Island Rainbow Assembly, preference given to members of East Greenwich Assembly No 4.
The Gardiner Scholarship is for members, children and grandchildren of Adah Chapter and the former Martha Chapter.
Nestell Chapter Scholarship is for those who have an Eastern Star relationship with members of the former Nestell Chapter. The application can be obtained from Carol-Ann King 110 Biscuit City Rd. Charlestown, RI 02813.
Grand Assembly of Rhode Island/Rhode Island Rainbow Girls Foundation Inc.
Scholarships are available for Rainbow Girls who are members in good standing in a Rhode Island Rainbow Assembly. Applicants must first apply during senior year in high school and may apply for four consecutive years. You must have a 2.0 grade point average and be a full-time student with at least 12 credit hours per semester. Applications may be obtained from your Mother Advisor, the chairperson of the Scholarship Committee, or downloaded from Rainbow website, www.rirainbowgirls.org.
Deadline for all completed scholarship applications is June 15.
If you do not complete the year for which the scholarship is granted, it is expected that the amount of the scholarship will be repaid to the applicable grantor fund.
St. Johns Lodge No. 1 Providence
Harmony Lodge No. 9
Hope Lodge No. 25
A scholarship is awarded annually to a student who is a member or a close relative to a member of Hope Lodge No. 25, A.F. & A.M. Wakefield, RI on the basis of academic achievement and financial need. Student must attend URI and fill out the appropriate university and federal financial aid forms to be considered for this award. The applications are administered by URI, not the Lodge. Income from endowment for a scholarship awarded recipient is selected by URI Enrollment Services, not the lodge. http://web.uri.edu/catalog/files/scholarships-awards.pdf
Adelphoi Lodge No. 33
Redwood Lodge No. 35
Grand Commandery of York Rite Masons
Scholarships are for junior and senior college students only.
Providence Chapter of Royal Arch Masons
Calvary Commandery No. 13 of York Rite Masons